Pengalaman Interview Asasi TESL 2016

Hello there! Today's talk will be about my Asasi TESL interview that I attended on 23/4/16 at UiTM Pasir Gudang. (future edit: This post somehow ended up being about giving tips for those who are going to the interview rather than telling my own experience haha.)

First and most importantly, be sure to arrive earlier because you gotta go through a hassle of finding your name and panel on the board along with people from other courses. And mind you, there's maaaany people alright. My mom found my name faster than I did, lol. I was in Panel 1, number 8. When I got into the written test room, there were only 3 boys and the rest were girls. Every panel had 20 candidates but a few from mine were absent.

The written test consist of 15 objective questions and 1 essay question. Welcome to university life, hun. The words/phrases used are not SPM level okay so better pick up a newspaper to vary your vocab okay? I had to read the passage over and over again just in case I misread anything. Essay is easy, you've to write in about 250 words. I didn't count mine because I forgot :/  Time given is only an hour so plan your timing wisely!

I'd lie if I tell you I wasn't worried for the interview. I was so nervous! While waiting to be called in for the interview, my knees wouldn't stop shaking and my palms were sweaty. Make conversation with other people in your panel. Who knows, they might be your classmates later kan? Just talk about anything. Random or something you're comfortable of. It helps to ease your nervousness. And oh! Pee. That's gonna help you a heap. Sounds funny but worked a wonder for me. Also, be alert of the bell sound that symbolize the next turn. Three of of the candidates before me weren't present and so I was the fifth person to go in. I was quite perplexed because I wasn't expecting my name to be called out that soon! 10.20 a.m. and I was already inside the interview room.

*panic mode on*


Remember to be polite even though you're normally not. Knock, wait for their permission, smile brightly, greet them like you don't have butterflies dancing in your stomach, and if they don't tell you to sit, don't sit.

My interviewers were both male, names unknown because I didn't dare to look at their name tags but they both looked very intimidating. I read so many blogs about their TESL interview and almost everyone had females interviewers but somehow I just found myself sitting in front of these two gentlemen.

They started by asking me where I'm from then jumped to the most basic question which was 'Tell me about yourself.' Sounds easy but you don't want to bore them here. Just make it brief  by telling your name, your high school, your position or achievements that relate with this course for example, the president of Eng. Society Club of your school.

I told them it's been a dream of mine to become either an English teacher or lecturer since I was a young child and I seriously regret my decision right after because their comeback was; "Why do you want to become a teacher? Why English in particular?"

tak ingat what i bantai jawab diorang

The next question was "Why do you want to teach English? Why not other subjects?" I told them I couldn't imagine myself teaching other subjects because I didn't do very well aside my solid A subjects. They looked at the copy of my SPM slip and laughed when they saw a B+ next to my Bahasa Malaysia.

They continued, this time the question was related to the current issue which is about a woman on FB who recently wrote something about Malay people who speak english are really arrogant and is just showing off blablabla. What is your 2 cents about it?

I had no idea what he's talking about ahahaha so one of them said explained further about it and I just bantai again my answer.

further questions were:

"Do you use social media a lot? Facebook?"

"Oh, then? Twitter? Instagram? Snapchat?"

"Do you have a favourite hashtag?" -- I DIDN'T KNOW ANYONE HAS A FAVORITE HASHTAG IFVJKJK


I guess my answers bore them ?? lol. They were silent for a while, jot something down on a paper and later asked if I have any question for them. I asked them regarding my choice in UPU, in case if I fail the interview, GOD FORBID NOOOOO, will I get my second choice or?? Because my second choice was UPSI, Diploma in English. They weren't really sure about it and I just went Oh, Ohhhh and more Ohhhhhh every time they try to come up with a possible answer hahahaha. My interview lasted less than 10 minutes.

Anyways. It's a good experience. I spoke just fine (i think?). I really hope I pass the interview and will be accepted into this course.



My next update will be about whether I'm accepted or not. Hopefully, it's good news!



Till then,
Moon.

Comments

Popular Posts